The first library in Peace River was established by the IODE in 1934, funded through a profit of $90.00 raised by a production of the operetta "Oh Doctor" at the Boyd Theatre. The profit raised through enabled the library to acquire shelves and books. Norman Soars was appointed librarian and the library was housed in the Town Hall. During the following years the library was manned entirely by volunteer staff. Many fine books were donated, many of which depicted the trials of the pioneers in the North Country of Peace River.
In 1959, the library designation changed from a Community Library to a Municipal Library, enabling us to grow with increased support from the province and surrounding municipalities. A move into the newly renovated Town Hall gave the library a much needed boost as did the custodianship of Mr. Ken Bowen and Mrs. Eve Whitmey. In 1982 the library moved into the vacant Health Unit building, its current location. In 2011 the library completed renovations that saw us move from 5000 to now 13 300 square feet.
Our library now hosts a History of the Library display. Come check it out for more details!